Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Sharing Some Christmas Joy

The kids seem to be understanding so much more about Christmas this year than in years past.  We are excited to share the fun of the holidays but we also want to make sure that they know that Christmas is all about our Savior,  Jesus Christ.  I have struggled to know just HOW to present all of this information to them and still throw in the stockings, Santas, tinsel and gifts.  It has been a relief for us that they have no idea that they can actually put in a "request" to Santa and have any expectations that he might deliver.  I was told that they only asked for candy during a recent visit to see Santa.

In light of the spirit of the season, I just wanted to share some things that I enjoy or look forward to sharing with our family.  Early on, we always attend the Fantasy of Trees which happens during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend here in Knoxville.  The funds raised benefit our local Children's Hospital and they always have a bunch of fun events and activities for children and adults.  (Pics to come from our trip to the Fantasy of Trees).  There is a Holiday Festival of Lights (scroll down to the end) at the Cove that offers a really nice Christmas light display, hot chocolate, visits by Santa, bonfires and roasted marshmallows.  Last year we took a short trip to the Smokies Stadium to see Shadrack's Christmas Wonderland which is a drive-through, fully synchronized, LED Christmas light (and music) show.  And there are always the wonderful displays throughout the neighborhoods in our area that we love to check out.

I also wanted to share some of the Christmas books that I have really enjoyed sharing with the kids. Aunt Sandi bought them these last year:

Jesus, Me, and My Christmas Tree, by Crystal Bowman

Jesus, Me, and My Christmas Tree


J is for Jesus, The Sweetest Story Ever Told, also by Crystal Bowman.

J Is for Jesus: The Sweetest Story Ever Told


And A Star for Jesus, which is also by Crystal Bowman.

A Star for Jesus

All of these books are available at Cedar Springs Christian Store and can be ordered online. They are great for teaching little ones about the TRUE meaning of CHRISTmas.

I am also excited about the arrival of The Christmas Angel (book and angel) that I ordered today after hearing about it here on the Frugalissa Finds blog.  This looks to be a great tradition and I'm excited about sharing it with my little elves.

Growing up, I was also very fond of the Amelia Bedelia books and I found Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia and decided it had to be part of our collection.

That's about all I can cover for this post.  I hope to start posting more about local events and activities that we love here in Tennessee.






No comments: