Thursday, October 4, 2007

Really flunked

After almost a week of finger sticks 4 times a day, I have officially flunked the glucose testing, meaning that I've been blessed with gestational diabetes. Of course, this isn't really a surprise as they had warned that it was almost inevitable that I would get it because of the three babies in there. We met with the nutritionist and the nurse to get a meal plan and find out what I can and can't eat. Unlike most people, they still want me to gain weight and continue to strive for 3500-4000 calories/day including the 175-200 grams of protein. That is a little harder to achieve when you are on this sort of diet, but we will work on it.
We figure that it will probably take a week or so to get a routine down and get some meal options that have the carbs, calories and protein and then just switch them around. I was feeling a little discouraged, but once again, it is definitely for the greater good if it means that the babies will be healthy and happy. I'm going to miss the coconut cake with 7 minute frosting, donuts, etc, but I'm will start making my list of requests of things to have once the babies arrive and I can get back to my carbs and sugars!
In case you have forgotten, we have just one more week to wait to find out the sex of our beautiful little miracle babies. We are so excited and are always looking forward to the ultrasound images and the sound of their beating hearts. This time, of course, there is more to look forward to as we discover whether we will have boys, girls or the combination of them.....could be a big defining moment in our lives as it will mean baseball games, piano lessons, dance classes, football, art projects, etc. It's all SO amazing!

1 comment:

Robert Williams said...

If I'm right! I'll be sending a trio of a football, a basketball and a baseball in celebration of my correct prognostication. ;-) -- Rob