Monday, January 7, 2008

Spending time at Univ of TN Hospital

Well, we made our first trip to the hospital early this morning (3am). I had a problem Friday with my stomach (throwing up) and my glucose # going way too low. We spent some time trying to get it back to normal, but still my numbers were a little off all weekend. Last night/early this morning, I was unable to get to sleep and felt my heart racing again (and a need to throw up). I checked my blood sugar and it was not TOO low, but a little off, so I tried snacks. When I continued to check it, it kept falling rather than rising, and then I was sick again. After trying again to get the number up and then getting sick AGAIN, I told Troy that I couldn't take anymore food or drinks to get the number up and I was having contractions. We headed to the hospital (they call it "triage", but that sounds really dramatic to me).
They had a little trouble getting all three heartbeats on monitors, but eventually got it straightened out. The babies were definitely not happy about the throwing up and were active, and they were even less pleased with the squishing around as the dr/nurse tried to find the heartbeats. The monitors almost got knocked off with all of the kicking and moving around.
In the end, things are OK. I was dehydrated, so they gave me IV fluids and meds for nausea. My glucose number was improving and we were able to leave around 6:30am. We told the nurses that we would see them in a few weeks and headed home.
It was really no big deal, but then again, the contractions are always an issue and we have to do everything to keep me from going into pre-term labor. Needless to say, I'll probably be staying in for a while (I've been out occasionally for lunch or an errand just for a change of scenery). Right now, it's important that I stay stress-free and keep trying to eat good food and watch my glucose #s and avoid anything that could cause contractions (like dehydration from being sick). It gets a little scary anytime there is any little thing that is out of the ordinary as we really HAVE to give them a few more weeks for their lungs to develop, etc before they arrive. Not trying to be a drama queen, but thought we'd share the latest. Please keep us in your prayers as we continue the quest to get to (at least) 34 wks! We are trying really hard to do everything to ensure that they arrive healthy and happy and spend very little time in the hospital.


Rambling Woman said...

Sorry to hear you were feeling so terrible. Not too much longer to go! You can do it!

Krow said...

Glad you're feeling better - you take it easy! I know it'll be difficult to sit around for a while, but NetFlix and the Internet can surely help with all that extra time.

sunny said...

Sorry you had your first scare. Hang in there. I am praying for you and your 3 monkeys. Weird thing--Sunday night around 6pm I was in a church group and we were encouraged to pray about something specific, but I kept feeling the need to pray for you, so I did. Interesting don't you think? The 'issue' I was supposed to be praying for was totally unrelated. Pretty cool though in light of the evening you had. Hang in there girl, you're doing GREAT!

Anonymous said...

I will continue to keep you in my prayers, but I think the man up stairs really wants you to have these children. So with that being said you will have three healthy little ones and I will be home sometime in April to tell them all stories about their Papa. From Dave