Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mommy's "Red Lobster"


Weeks ago, I tried a "Cracker Barrel night" where I prepared side dishes that were similar to those we would order at the infamous home-cookin'-style restaurant.  Today, I found a clearance deal in the meat department on some fish sticks and popcorn shrimp.  I thought I'd try to recreate a meal we might get at Red Lobster.  I fixed the kids a teeny tiny salad, baked potatoes (but then took the potato out of the skin before serving it because that is a complete turn-off to them), fish sticks, popcorn shrimp and my own quickie version of cheddar biscuits (read: canned biscuits sprinkled with garlic powder and shredded cheddar cheese).  They weren't too bad.  Certainly not the buttery-garlic infused cheddar goodness that you would find at the Red Lobster, but a decent fill-in at the last minute.  Emma inhaled the seafood (though she asked me for "more chicken" and I did not correct her - not a lie per se, but an ommission of the truth).  They all ate the biscuits and kechup but barely touched the potatoes or salad.  Oh well.  Better luck next time.

Another favorite "flavor of the day" in our house (in terms of DVDs) is the "Between the Lions" series that we've found at the library.  This is/was a PBS series that encourages reading amongst younger children and the setting is a library.  My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE it!  One of the episodes that they really enjoy is called "Fuzzy Wuzzy Wuzzy" about the rhyme (Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear.  Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.  Etc.).  In the show, there is a cast of characters that dance around the library in the "conga line" manner chanting "Fuzzy Wuzzy Wuzzy".  Tonight I was lucky enough to get pics of the kids doing the Fuzzy Wuzzy.




Prior to this, I (again - *sigh*) had trouble getting pictures of them.  They are really fighting me on posing for the camera, though I really don't even ask for a pose.  As soon as I walk into a room with the camera, they are shouting "No pictures!" or "No camera!"  Nice.  But Clark was being goofy and I got this little "series":




Enjoy!

No comments: