Friday, February 25, 2011

Pizza Night!

I don't know that I've really mentioned that Troy has changed careers and is now with Travelers Insurance.  Since he spent over 17 years in the pizza business with a wonderful Papa Johns franchise here in Knoxville, we have never really bothered with making homemade pizza.  The kids were big fans of Papa Johns and so were we (we still are, by the way).  But I have had visions of "pizza night" where we make homemade pizza and hang out as a family, maybe watch movies or play games and just sort of take it easy.
Unfortunately, Troy is still at work, but I decided to try my hand at homemade pizza using Bisquick.  I made a Hawaiian pizza because I had an open package of ham (that's "ok" for the kids), some onion and some crushed pineapple on hand.  The internet has many options for making your own dough, but I decided to just start sort of simple and use the Bisquick.  Basically, it was 1 and 1/2 cups of Bisquick with 1/3 cup very hot water.  My serving size was larger (so more of both) but I will also need to work on making the dough thinner in the pan because it's pretty thick (since I'm a carb lover it's not all bad).  I baked the crust for 10 minutes and then added a homemade sauce and the toppings and baked it for another 18 minutes (or so).  The kids seemed to like it (K ate 3 pieces and C is on his 2nd and E ate 2+ pieces).  I think they ate most of the first slice and then ate either the toppings (C, K) or the crust (E) after that initial introduction. 




We had vanilla ice cream and a few alphabet letter cookies for dessert and it's on to the rest of the evening.  We are awaiting Poo Pa now because he will be coming to hang out with the kids for a little while this evening and I thought I'd try to type out my blog entry so that it isn't hanging over my head later on.  Really, it isn't a burden, but sometimes I just want to have it out of the way so that I can relax when they finally go to bed (or get more consignment sale tagging done).

What sorts of things do you do as a family for dinner and fun time at home?  I'd love to hear your suggestions.  We've tried the following:
Taco night
Spaghetti night
Pizza night
I have a friend who serves the meal backwards on April 1st (for April Fool's Day) or serves them a dessert that looks like an entree and the kids LOVE dessert for dinner.  I thought that sounds really fun (for the kids and the adults).

Happy Friday!

No comments: