Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sticks and Stones

Our backyard is full of them...sticks and stones.  We have pea gravel piles that the kids love to get into and move from place to place.  And there are piles of sticks and other miscellaneous ones all over the yard that fall from the very old trees in and around our yard (I say "around" because we only have two trees technically "in" our yard, so most come from the neighbors trees, I think).  Sometimes the kids love collecting them for Teddy and other times, we try to convince them that it's lots of fun to collect them in an effort to just get the yard cleaned up. 

It was one of those evenings where the sun was just right for me to play around with my camera.  The kid were (relatively) happy to be outside and I tried to encourage them to play so I could catch random shots.  The girls had some really sweet moments with Teddy and I was so happy to get a chance to capture a few to share with Troy.  I kept them out almost as late as possible but it was definitely getting a little cool and we needed to eat dinner.  I began the "ready, set, go...." thing and ran laps with the girls around the swing set (my exercise for the next week).  Teddy even got into running laps as well.

So, as I mentioned before, it was one of those evenings with the almost perfect lighting for a photography student (of sorts) to play around and see what could be done with it.

Things started out OK....

 

And then I got these two....and I was pretty happy.......



but then I got this.......
 and this....... (Seriously.  Do you see the frown lines?  Wrinkles were forming from that frown!)


and then I got this................




Ugh!  I was about to put the camera away.  Instead, I put Clark away in his room because he just couldn't get his tantrum under control.  And, quite frankly, sometimes I worry that the neighbors will think I am torturing him or something.  Nope.  Not torturing, just trying to have fun outside and take some pictures.  So, off to bed he went and the girls and I went to the backyard, but soon I was able to get him calmed down and brought him outside for more fresh air.





Stick gathering.


Are there rules for running around with big sticks?  Yes, I thought so and I tried to enforce them, but they were having so much fun that I just told them "No running with big sticks!" and went with the rest of it.


And then the girls got all cute and sweet with Teddy.  I was in Heaven because I was hopeful that there would be something worth sharing with Troy.  




And later, I was working to dry Emma off after she tried to turn the water table over and heard Kendall calling me.  I looked over and she had climbed to the top of the rope thingy.  Ugh!  We had a little discussion how that was really cool but she needed adult supervision because it was high off of the ground and we didn't want her to get hurt.  My little daredevil!




Just before we headed inside, all three of them were goofing off in the playhouse and I tried to get something cute, but this was it.....


I think they are really enjoying the warmer weather and being outside so much (I've asked Alicia to take them out a lot for the past two days also).  Since it's just February, I will be crossing my fingers that we don't have any other blasts of winter coming through because this is just too spring-like to let it slip away. 
Happy Spring!  (I know.  Wishful thinking!)

No comments: