Friday, July 16, 2010

The Hazards of Three



Tonight was one of those nights where I was blasted with the reality that three toddlers can be hazardous.  It was bath time.  Poo Pa was here in the play room, but the kids began fighting over Craisins.  I took Emma out of the room to get a bath.  One screaming child was now calm.  In the meantime, I was trying to calm Kendall down when she popped her brother on the back of the head.  You see, he had previously been trying to steal Craisins from both sisters.  They were both in hysterics.  And now I had a screaming Clark and a slightly remorseful Kendall.  I scolded her and required that she hug her brother and apologize. 
Throughout this hitting/screaming/apologizing, I failed to remember that I had released Emma from the playroom and she was behind me.  It didn't even cross my mind that she could be climbing the stairs since she had been told it was bath time.  And yes, that IS what she was doing.  I have NO idea how far up she was or what happened until I heard a thunk and the resulting screams.  I still don't know exactly what happened, but she did tell me that she fell.  I was unable to figure out "what" was hurting and after poking, bending and patting everywhere, I didn't find any serious injuries.  After about five minutes of rocking in her room and calming her, she was ready for a bath and seemed to recover well, so I'm hoping she only slipped off of the bottom step and was more upset and frightened rather than actually hurt.  And she was very willing to go back down the stairs after bath to go play with Poo Pa so it doesn't appear that she is scarred for life. 


It was really frustrating that I couldn't tend to all of my babies when they seemed to need me (even with Poo Pa nearby) and it was another blaring reminder that triplets can be scary.  I really thought I had failed Emma when I realized she had fallen and was very relieved that it wasn't more serious.
On top of those bright moments this evening, earlier today I ran into a post at a local drive-through and put a beautiful dent in the corner of the bumper on our van.  I didn't think it was a big deal because I thought I just scraped it a little.  When I remembered to check it out once I was home, I was shocked to find a bigger dent than I had expected.  Oops!  What a dummy.  At least no one was injured (it was just me in the car) and I didn't even have a stupid thing like talking on the phone or texting to blame.  Just a poor estimate of the space I had between the van and the pole.  How embarrassing!  But I'm willing to admit my scattered-mom-moment on the blog.

Needless to say, I'm ready for our stay-cation next week.  We are both off of work and will be doing some fun things with the kiddos and trying to get some things done around the house as well.  I think I need to just get things in order at home so that I don't feel quite so scattered all of the time. :)
TGIF!!!!

No comments: