Monday, January 4, 2010

Day #4: Let It Snow! Brrrrrrrrrrr







I must admit that I'm still a Florida weenie when it comes to cold weather. When I first came to Tennessee, I loved to see snow and loved winter. Now...I hate it. It's cold. The trees look yucky. It takes a lot of effort to get out from under the covers in the morning. Nope, it's not Alaska, but it is definitely as cold as I want it to be right now.
On a happy note, we had a light dusting of snow. The pretty kind. You know...fluffy; not super-wet; nice to look at; doesn't cause terrible problems if you want to drive in it. But it is COLD!!!
So I bundled up the kids for a day INSIDE. Trust me (or ask Nanny Barb), it is cold in our house, especially downstairs. We have a "new" programmable thermostat (bargain on Craigslist) but it gets incredibly hot upstairs at night if we leave the heat set on anything over 62 (thermostat is downstairs by the front door). So, we are now programming it to start warming up downstairs just before we all usually wake up and running our space heater for the playroom first thing.
In the meantime, I had the kids in warm clothes and fuzzy slippers to stay cozy so that they could stand in the window and check out the falling snow (did I mention that it is COLD outside and that window area is pretty chilly). I wonder what they think of it? Just imagine seeing snow and not knowing what it really is and trying to understand it all? I think it's pretty cool trying to see things from their perspective.
Anyway, there is a picture of Kendall in her Cookie Monster slippers (and Clark and Emma in their slippers also). All three were kept entertained by the hat given to them by Uncle Stevie to honor the New Year - a little fight broke out too(shocker).
I can't believe how much they are talking these days. It's amazing how they just start repeating certain words out of nowhere:
K: flower, color, bear, hello, milk, "are you OK", elmo, baby, etc
E: nena (banana), bear (sounds like beer), hello, babeee, shoos, Elmo, etc
C: hiiieeeeee, heeyyyy, bear, eat, mommy (Hmmmm....Bear eat Mommy. Not good.)
There are many more words, but I just thought I'd share a few highlights.
They are also doing a lot of singing (Twinkle, Twinkle; Happy and You Know It; Ring Around the Rosey; Itsy Bitsy Spider; Row, Row, Row Your Boat) and the girls are counting from 1 to 10 (though they might skip a number or two in there).
They love "Bear in the Big Blue House" (unfortunately no longer in production) and learning their numbers and letters from the Sesame Street crew. We are also watching the Signing Times DVDs in order to learn more American Sign Language and Mommy is also learning the signs as well. They love to color and put stickers on their pictures too. Then we get to hang the masterpieces in the kitchen so they can talk about them during mealtimes later.
That's all for now. Hope to be back on here tomorrow with more pictures.

No comments: