Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bird Question...and a Trip to the Mall Play Area




I admit that I'm sort of a germ-a-phobe.  Who wouldn't be when you have gone through the challenges of a triplet pregnancy and the premature delivery/NICU stay with teenie-tiny babies depending on your wisdom and common sense to keep them safe?  But yes, there are times that I'm a little extreme.  I WANT to have my children out with others, but during flu and RSV season, I'm completely petrified that we will all come home with something.  Since it is summer and there is no sign of the flu, I thought it would be safe to try to take them to the mall play area this evening after dinner.  They needed a change of scenery and we needed to wear them out.[NOTE: I keep saying that we need to "wear them out" because they are still less than 2 and 1/2 years old and FULL FULL FULL of energy.  If we don't burn it off, there is no going night-night later on at bedtime.  We really aren't trying to torture them or anything.]
We had a wonderful dinner out with the kids and then had another 30 minutes to kill before we could pick up Troy's car from the "shop" where it was getting an oil change.  We headed to the play area and the kids really loved it.  There were not as many children as we have run into at the YMCA and Mommy and Daddy were both nearby keeping an eye on things, so they all seemed very comfortable and happy to see other children.  We only had one minor mishap where Kendall managed to escape the enclosure and neither one of us saw it right away.  We did a kid-count and found only two (the ones were were currently playing with) and frantically searched for her.  Quickly we saw her running past us - but on the OUTSIDE of the play area and Daddy jumped over the little wall to scoop her up.  I think she was just turned around and didn't really see where we were at that particular moment.  All in all, it was a good experience and I think we will do it again sometime (especially as the summer heats up or when we get too much rain).  I have to say that the A/C flow into the play area was AWESOME!
Regarding the bird picture....we are trying to find out what type of bird that is in the picture?  This particular little one has visited our feeders a number of times and we are just curious what it really is.  Any comments would be appreciated.
And Poo-pa has a new rose bush and he shared one of the blooms with the girls in the house this evening.  It's a beautiful pale pink.  Unfortunately, my SD card ran out of room (TOO many pictures), so I only had two shots and one was really blurry.  Beautiful flower though.
Busy day tomorrow and I was up until the wee hours of the morning last night because I just couldn't sleep, so I'm going to cut this short and call it a day.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Hey Kim- I looked that bird up in my bird book-it appears to be a Pine Grosbeak Finch. According to the desciption in my book, it should not be down this far South, but it looks just like the picture! My dad gave me the National Audubon Society Field Guide to Birds book many years ago. It's fun to look up strange birds that we see and try to figure out what they are. Good Father's Day gift since it is coming up ;)

I am SOOO IMPRESSED that you are bloggin everyday! Your photography skills are really getting good!

Kate